top of page
Post: Blog2_Post

Can Army go to Air Force

Updated: Jan 6, 2022

Can Army switch to Air Force you ask? The short answer is yes. Keep reading to find out if you qualify and the process.

First, here is what the Air Force says about commissioned officers from other branches. The Interservice Transfer program, or IST, allows qualified commissioned officers from other Uniformed Services to apply for transfer to active duty in the United States Air Force to fill select critically manned Air Force career fields. DUE TO FORCE MANGEMENT EFFORTS, THE INTERSERVICE TRANSFER PROGRAM IS SUSPENDED.

As for the enlisted side, here is the process:

  1. The Prior Service (PS) program is an enlistment program, allowing a select number of separated individuals to return to service. The number of prior service slots is subject to change based on Air Force needs. Applicants must meet all eligibility requirements for initial processing procedures. Applicants must have an honorable discharge from previous military service.

  2. Prior service applicants who have previously served in the Air Force must have performed duties in their requested return AFSC during their last term of enlistment. All other prior service applicants from any branch of military service are eligible to serve in the Air Force Reserve or Air National Guard. All applicants must be a U.S. citizen and have an adjusted age that is no more than 39. To get your adjusted age, take your chronological age and subtract actual time in service credit. The result will be your adjusted age.

  3. Your local recruiter can help you determine your qualifications and discuss options open to prior service applicants based on the job you are qualified in and your years of service.

There is a RallyPoint thread on this topic that has some responses from senior Air Force leadership that has some really great insight and chances of getting in.

May the odds be ever in your favor.

2,284 views0 comments


bottom of page